Perfume, colognes, lotions, sweaty skin dishwater detergents, chlorine and hair products can all be contributing factors to tarnishing your jewelry.
When jewelry is removed and the residue isn’t wiped off, the chemicals can induce the tarnishing process.
A few easy steps will ensure your sterling to be as brilliant as the day it was purchased.
Before you put any jewelry on,
- Be sure any lotions and/or perfumes are completely absorbed into your skin.
- Apply all hair products,especially hair spray, before putting on any jewelry.
- Remove your jewelry before swimming, workout or bedtime.
- When you remove your jewelry at the end of the day, take a couple of minutes to carefully wipe it off with a jewelry cloth or an old soft cotton t-shirt.
- Jewelry cloth is preferable because it’s two sided: The inside rouge is for cleaning off the dull residue and the outside cloth is for buffing.
- Never use tissues or paper towels for cleaning silver. These products will scratch the jewelry, which will detract from the beauty of the pieces.
- Do not store jewelry next to heating vents, window sills, or in the car.
- Store jewelry away from sunlight. The sun may fade some gemstones.
- Pearls and opals, however, should be stored in fabric instead of plastic because they need to “BREATHE”.
- Do not wear jewelry especially gemstones while in a pool, hot tub or bathing. The chlorine in the water can damage them
Taking the time to keep your jewelry clean after wearing it and storing it away from light and air is all that’s needed to cut down on tarnish significantly and ensure your beautiful adornments last long.